Sunday, November 28, 2010

Serious about Photography


Over 30+ years ago when I started in photography, I had another job that always kept my family secure. We were far from rich but we were secure enough that I never hesitated to get better photography equipment when I could.

In the last 4 or 5 years, the economy has been bad, and I had several "other jobs" besides photography. I turned to the web and spent more time on my website (about photography) than actually doing photography.

In one of the articles I wrote, I said, "If I had to start all over again, I would spend two hours a day; either reading about, writing about, or doing Photography." The Key I said was to do something every day to prove to myself as much as anyone else, that I was actually serious about photography.

Well, that day has come. I am tired of actually being envious of those photographers that are doing more than I am. I am ashamed when I make excuses to myself, why I can't make a living at it full time. I know I can not afford to quit my other job now, but my goal for 2011 (be it a month early) is to start believing in myself again. I plan to be more serious about my photography, and if you will follow this blog; I plan to share with others, how I make that change.

3 comments:

  1. I can sort of understand how you feel about the amount of time you spend actually 'doing the work'. It happens to me every once in a while. For the most part, I carry my camera EVERYWHERE I go and I give myself little assignments. Like, when I'm walking down to the mail I'll agree with myself to shoot only round shapes or windows or whatever. Of course, another thing that sometimes hits an 'older' photographer like me is how the Greatness of Photography was been diminished and diluted by the 'Digital Age'. With the advent of cameras the 'do it all for you', what is left? At one time, you could almost tell the level of someone's experience by the camera they carried; someone shooting a Canon F-1N as opposed to someone shooting a disposable film camera was a pretty good indication because true professional photographers did the majority of their work in camera by the processing of their own brains. Now, anyone with a digital camera and Photoshop thinks that they are a professional photographer and that saturates the market for you and I, making it tough to make a living as a photographer. I mean , if uncle Joe or Sister Suzie has a digital camera with a pop-up flash and a kit lens, then they could probably shoot my wedding for a couple of hundred bucks, hunh? Or, they charge less for their images for whatever reason. It can be very disheartening for an image-maker and then one starts questioning how much time they spend doing the work as opposed to the fact that they can actually DO the work. Chin Up,Ted. You are a skilled artist and you are doing the best you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article is extremely useful and interesting, Thanks for sharing such an instructive article with us.

    keep updating.....! By the way , this information is very informative also ---> How to Choose Your First Professional Camera.

    ReplyDelete